https://www.wetmorehistoricalsociety.com > Photo Gallery

« Back to Photo Gallery

Wetmore Post Office

The Wetmore Post Office has continually served as the hub of the local community since the beginning of its operation in 1881. It was originally built by Dr. J. W. Walters in 1879 and was used as his residence, office and store. The retail operation included the sale of drugs, sundries and limited grocery items.

To this day, residents visit the post office regularly to receive their mail, as well as to keep in touch with each other.

In 2007, native-born resident Jeannie Cuplin purchased the historic post office property. Jeannie's mission was to provide a gathering place for those who were interested in learning about and preserving the history and genealogy of the Hardscrabble Creek area. With this goal in mind, Jeannie began the long renovation process on the building, and in 2009, the community celebrated the opening of the Wetmore Historical Center. The Wetmore Historical Center houses a library and museum and is the gathering place for the Wetmore-Hardscrabble Genealogical and Historic Society meetings and events.

In September of 2008, after the extensive renovation, the post office building was registered on the National Register of Historic Places and the Colorado State Register of Historic Properties.

Permalink